Resonance

Resonance

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Playing With Fire: Part Two

I just finished another sample enamel firing, this one a little more elaborate than the last. I made sure to use a heavier copper (22 gauge), and cleaned it properly between each layer. I started by counter enameling the back, then applying a layer of clear flux on top.
Two sections, one white and one black were fired on next. Then, I applied a binder, pieces of silver foil and a scattering of gold leaf.
After firing the foils down, I added four transparent colors...Three different greens and a sky blue, covering most of the surface.
The result is much more interesting than the last samples I tried, and more encouraging! The piece had some cracking after the last firing, but I am certain it had to do with moving the piece to a cool spot too quickly. I can simply re-fire to patch the crack (was going to add a layer of clear on top, anyway). I am impressed with myself today!
Black and White over Clear

Fine Silver Foil and 23 kt Gold Leaf before firing

Silver and Gold Leaf after firing

Green and Blue Transparent Enamels over top

No comments:

Post a Comment